Friday, May 15, 2009

Ties That Bind


Do you have any relatives you seldom see, but really love? My cousin Pete and his wife Becky are like that. They are hospitable, funny, smart, and genuine. Pete's Mom,Helen, was my Mom's favorite sister. My sister, Mary Helen, is named for her. She died when I was in college, but the memories of her are still very much alive. Five years ago I reconnected with Pete and Becky and visited them in their mountain home just off the Blue Ridge Parkway.
It was there I realized life could forever be different for me. As I sat out on their deck in the middle of the Appalachians with my laptop, I knew something had radically changed....I could do my work anywhere! That was a huge AHA!
As I planned the road trip, I checked with them to see if they were going to be in Deep Gap or on the shore in their full-time home. Secretly, I was hoping for Deep Gap. The Blue Ridge Parkway and I have an ongoing love affair. The minute I enter, I feel at home (much like I do at Holly Lake).
And, to think I could introduce the Cruiser to the Parkway ---- does it get any better? You are thinking --- Brenda needs a life, aren't you?
We watched the smokey haze clear off this morning, and the mountains break through. We solved all the world's problem over Pete's well-made breakfast. We laughed about families and shared stories.
Then, I turned the Cruiser toward Winston-Salem. BUT not before I navigated the curviest, craziest road I have ever traversed....Elk Run Road just off the Parkway. It cries out for a sports car, or motorcycle ---but I didn't let the Cruiser know for it was doing a fine job of switch-back after switch-back.
I will finish up tonight by giving you a quick comment in the next entry about the Hurds.

No comments: