Friday, May 8, 2009

Goodbye - Hello

"This ends a chapter for you," said my son-in-law, Bob as I swept out the garage, pulled the door, and walked to my car. Andrew, my ten year old grandson immediately responded, "But you will write the next chapter at Holly Lake."

When I planned this road trip, I had no idea it would follow by 12 hours my saying goodbye to 11460 Parkchester Drive, Dallas, Texas...my home for 32 years. I walked through the rooms and replayed memories. I finally sat in the emptiness and pushed my brain to replay the move-in day.

"There is so much wall space --- we can collect things for a lifetime." Funny thing to remember, isn't it?

I pictured Bob and Jeannette Deffinbaugh leading a corps of volunteers as we moved in so long ago. Then quickly I remembered earlier that day as Jeannette piled boxes for the movers to cart away for the next chapter. Who knew friendship could be bookends?

We moved in with three young children, lots of hope, and much gratitude. I moved out with much gratitude, awareness of God's faithfulness, and three married children, and five grandchildren - WOW!

So, as I begin this road trip, it is with freshness and delight. Perhaps the house will sell while I am gone. Perhaps the next family will be moved in when I finally get back to Texas. Perhaps their lives, their mail, and their drivers licenses will have a Parkchester address. I pray for them as I prayed for the house. May the blessings of that house shower them with grace and love.

Tonight, I sit in one of my favorite places --- at the computer looking out the window at tall pines and scavenging deer, waiting for four Richardsons to arrive. What a great way to start my journey. Since this house came into my life, every trip begins and ends here. So, too,does this magnificent adventure that lies ahead.

I eagerly await Sunday when I pull out, looking toward Nashville. But, there is much to do before then. And, even another goodbye. But, that will be the story for tomorrow.

Good to have you along.

No comments: