Friday, May 29, 2009

Penultimate


Baby Jack's grandfather, Rich Goldsmith, and I have something in common ----- we love words. During a vocabulary jousting, I threw out "penultimate." "Second to last," Rich instanteously responded.
Penultimate is one of my favorite words --- I like the way it sounds and I like the fact that most people misuse it. "Ultimate" isn't good enough for most --- they think adding the pen elevates it to some higher level. But no --- it means second to last, as Rich knew.
Yesterday was the penultimate day of the US 41 road trip and in many ways it had a touch of the ultimate. From the departure at Lake City, Fl. to the night's sleep in Chattanooga, TN, the day combined the best elements of the road trip: friendly faces, interesting experiences, visual beauty, and an awareness of God's goodness.
Whatever tomorrow brings on the ultimate day of this journey, the penultimate will have its own special memories.

No comments: