Thursday, May 21, 2009

Charleston Chapter of Fred in the Bed

Each Saturday from 2004 to 2007, twenty to thirty people came to my house to hear Dad talk about what he was thinking. We affectionately called it "Fred in the Bed" because the chairs were pulled up around Dad's bed. One of the members of the group was a bright young medical student, Michael Allen. He and his Mom, Diane, were faithful attendees.Michael is now a psychiatric resident in Charleston, SC.
Dad often used a phrase, "Beyond arithmetic" to describe providence. I thought of that as I called Michael to tell him I was stopping in SC on my trip. "Coincidentally" Michael lives 5 minutes from my hotel and his normally full patient schedule opened up. "I couldn't get anyone to set an appointment for Wednesday morning." I could hear Dad laughing.
We talked about his recent trip to the Billy Graham Training Center to hear Howard Hendricks, his work, and how Dad stretched him. We now have a BWF Ambassador in Charleston, SC. Great way to start the day.

No comments: