Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Jack and Sparrows


Grandson Andrew, age 10, likes to call his new cousin Jack Sparrow. Although terribly exciting to a 10 year old boy, the thought of a precious little grandson with "shivering timbers" strikes fear in my heart.
But thinking of Jack and sparrows brings to mind Ethel Waters and her rich, vibrant voice: "His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me." As I see Jeff and Anne constantly focusing on their wee one, I hear that melody and feel the truth of its words.
Tomorrow morning I pack the Cruiser and head for Boone, N.C. ----- in the thousand year reign, I hope the Lord gives me a job on the Blue Ridge Parkway! There may be more dramatic places on earth, but none that resonates so strongly with my spirit.
Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville is where Fred and Mary Alice Smith brought all three of us into the world. Nashville was home until I was five and then again when my children were small. It is right to know there are still Tennessee roots.
The Cruiser keeps one eye on me as it is parked in front of the house. "Time to get going....time to get on the road....let's go."
I will talk to you tomorrow from the mountains of North Carolina looking down on the Parkway and knowing all is right with the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

How fun to keep up with you this way! Have been busy celebrating grandson, Conner's birthday on Saturday, Mother's Day on Sunday and Leisa (daughter's) birthday yesterday. We're tired! Wanted to touch base and will try to keep up with your journey Be careful. Know that we are praying for you.

Love you,

Sandy