Monday, May 11, 2009

Purposeful or Purpose-fall?

While driving through Arkansas, my sweet friend Johanna and I discussed God's purpose in our lives, the nature of soul dreams, and the pursuit of God's will. Johanna keeps my hungering and thirsting on the right path. Left to my own devices, I hunger and thirst after pasta and well-made breads.
Later on that evening, my hungerings and their purposefulness came together to save my bones, but not my pride.
After checking into the motel, I went to the car to do my impression of a pack burro...with computer, overnight bag, backpack(cleverly disguised as a purse), and preaching-sized Bible. Gingerly opening the front door, I passed the luggage cart and sneered as I gleefully considered my ability to transport using only arms and legs. No sooner had I let that thought pass through my head, did I feel my feet in slow motion......headed upwards. Yes, I was definitely slipping, sliding, and falling.
The thirty-five pounds I strategically added to my frame in the last year found their raison d'etre ---- their reason to live....they padded my hips and backside preventing major damage.
The young desk clerk looked shocked, and then immediately defensive....they must teach this technique in hospitality school. Clearly, it was my fault that I was on the floor!
My underwear, my dinner, my laptop, and my dignity were splayed out before the world of Comfort Inn. And, of course, my 10 pound Bible which landed on top of everything. "Thus saith the Lord" seemed to fill the room.
He extended his hand, wishing I had hungered and thirsted for more righteousness and less chocolate,but daring not to groan.
Day three ended with a thud, but with a big laugh (once I was behind closed doors).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenda - I do the same thing. Can't be bothered with multiple trips to the car!! Craziness. Glad you're ok, and glad you have a sense of humor! Keep blogging! Love, Fran
By the way, were you talking to Johanna by phone, tape, or what? Because, you are in the car alone, right? Just want to clear that up....

Brenda A. Smith said...

Thanks for asking about how I was talking to Johanna. I realized my syntax left much to be clarified, but I had already clicked on "publish." She and I were on the phone. You are right --- I am driving by myself, but it is fun knowing you all are riding with me.

Anonymous said...

Brenda - doesn't it feel good to fall and realize you haven't broken anything? I was thinking with all the weight I have put on this year, if I was to take a fall, I would bounce like a rubber ball! So glad you are ok. Judy