Monday, May 18, 2009

In The Garden


Spending the night with Mack and LuAnne Arrington in Greensboro is like sleeping between the pages of Southern Living magazine. It has all the warmth, charm, and beauty expected of the genteel South. Lu and I met while both working for Principal Financial Group. It was an immediate connection and nearly 20 years later we still enjoy our visits. A bonus is Mack, her creative, energetic, and thought-provoking husband. He is part of a think tank I organized for BWF. And, sure enough --- he came up with some great ideas about the way men think. Believe me, I will never pass that course!
Early this morning, I woke up and started walking around their luscious backyard with hidden seating areas, a formal, cross-shaped garden, verdant (don't get to use that word much in Texas) plantings, and secret bridges. "And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own..." Those words to the old hymn started playing in my brain. No, they haven't yet installed a sound system which pipes this music in. But as an aside, the Billy Graham Museum in Charlotte has a prayer garden where Ruth is buried. As you walk down the flagstone steps, hymns float all around you from the speakers hidden in the trees --- it feels almost surreal. Okay, back to Greensboro....I am taking the morning to work on the BWF Weekly Thought, then going to a retirement home to visit old friends. Seth is one of the authors in the Breakfast with Fred book and always a joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I'm loving your blog. I would love to take a drive through the south like you're doing. I think getting "lost" is just taking the scenic route! You sound like you're doing great and the Lord is blessing you along the way. Fran