Saturday, May 30, 2009

Dun rode the road


I did it! I rode the whole thing (minus 6 miles in Miami) ---- and added miles and miles each time I got lost in a big city. An aside --- if you are ever trying to find US 41 in Tampa, it is Florida Avenue. About the 4th time around downtown, I found it.

I often thought about the feelings of realizing the dream of "driving US 41." Honestly, the last 75 miles were focused on getting to Nashville. The "call of baby Jack" pushed me to drive past the George Dickel Distillery, two TVA dams, and one mountain wood carver with little desire to pull off and explore.

The day included a spectacular drive through the mountains of Tennessee. There are seven serpentine, breathtaking miles out of Monteagle, TN. I passed the driveway for Rock City. The vision of all those barns across America painted with "See Rock City" flashed into my mind. Here I was at the real thing. But, that would have to wait for another trip --- my face was turned toward Nashville!

Often, 41 paralleled Interstate 24. I glanced to my left or right, watching trucks and cars flying by. My decision to observe every stop sign, every traffic light, and every school crossing was a good one. Getting from point A to point B isn't always a question of expediency, but experience.
I learned about finishing well. I learned about seeing a dream from beginning to end. I learned about the joy of discovery --- and recovery! I learned you can love a bright blue Cruiser for thousands of miles and never, never get tired of sharing the road together.
Seems like the most appropriate close is "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow...amen."

No comments: