Monday, May 25, 2009

Mutability - Verse 2



"Tell your friend that SW 8th street in Miami is no place for her....and if she decides to do it anyway to stay in the car and not stop." Well, let's see. How important is touching both ends of 41? Important enough to risk my life or at least the life of the Cruiser? I think not. So, I changed my mind. I may never physically experience the thrill of the entire 1990 miles of US 41, but I have lived to tell the story of the other 1984 miles. Or, as my brother said, "Don't let the end of the trail be the end of the Trail."
I joined the revered old road at the intersection of the Florida Turnpike and 41. And for those who are following the weather ---- as I was approaching Miami/Dade County, the following warning boomed out of my radio: "This is a tornado warning for NW Miami/Dade County....this is a tornado warning." YEP! Had I not changed my mind, I would have driven directly into the path of the storm. I know it feels like an excuse for veering off, but it did give me some solace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

loving your posts, Brenda. That was wise to give up the actual touching of the last 6 miles (did I do my math right?). That would have been tough for me - so stubborn!
thinking of you,
Fran

Anonymous said...

Fran, it was really hard for me....I am a road trip purist, but as a friend pointed out yesterday ---"One flat tire and you could have been dead." Rather direct, but I got the idea.