Friday, May 29, 2009

In Remembrance


Six miles from my Chattanooga destination, I entered the north Georgia town of Ringgold. I started noticing American flags on the outskirts. It barely registered until I drove into the town center. Suddenly, flags were everywhere. The courthouse lawn was covered in a display that could not be ignored. Stopping to look, I soon realized each flag stood on a base with a name and war listed. This flag indicated a man or woman who gave their life in battle. My eyes stung as I stood there stunned.
Two policemen sat nearby. I asked about the flags. "They are on every street of our town ---- 786 of them!" World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam --- they were all there.
Thank you, Lord, for Ringgold, Georgia. Thank you for the lives of these men and women who sacrified so I could freely drive from state to state.
What a way to end a day filled with blessing.

No comments: