Saturday, May 9, 2009

Of monkeys and relativity

My title implies I sadly confused Darwin and Einstein... Not so!
This morning I dropped my four Richardsons (daughter Heather, son-in-law Bob, grandson Andrew, and granddaughter Bree Anna) at the Tyler Zoo for a romp through the park. We are badly spoiled by San Diego, St. Louis, and Fort Worth, but they climbed back into the car with glowing reports. For grandkids, as long as there are snakes and other creepy crawlers, their day is worthwhile.
After dropping them off, the Cruiser and I drove to Mother Frances Hospital in Tyler. Yesterday I mentioned I would speak of one more goodbye. My good friend, Patti, has been in the ICU for nearly 3 weeks with pneumonia and colon infection. Her tiny little body belies the strong spirit and faith so powerfully demonstrated even as she fails.
I want her to miraculously recover, come to the Selah House, and regain her strength. I didn't want to leave today thinking that this goodbye may be the last one. As I begin a new chapter, I didn't want to think Patti's next entry may be on heavenly shores.
It seems leaving on this trip entails much more than packing a bag, ordering brand new AAA road maps, and inflating the tires.
Relativity, you ask? The afternoon was spent in Tyler with brother Fred, sister-in-law Carol, niece Haley and my four Richardsons. I laughed as I attempted to back out..."Have you changed your oil? Everything's in order? Keep in touch." My brother sounded much like our Dad did as I left for college. But, it is good to have someone care about your tires!
Zig Ziglar says, "Make today worth remembering." Not a bad goal.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Brenda- Be safe, have a great time and God Bless.
Judy Liles

Judy said...

Brenda- Be safe, have a great time and God Bless.
Judy Liles

Brenda A. Smith said...

Judy, did you find the lint in the Sunday School room closet? It has your name on it. Maybe I will hit a laundromat or two and bring you an assortment of dryer remains.

Anonymous said...

Brenda, I didn't get to class- did the Mothers Day brunch. I will this Sunday. Thanks so much!