Monday, May 11, 2009

Music City's calling

Interstate 40 is definitely on my least favorite list of highways. But, today, the 18 wheelers were not as intimidating (even in my Cruiser). I was on the way to Nashville to see Jeff, Anne, and TA-DA, Jack Eliot Horch. In two short weeks, this nearly 9 pound boy has taken over an entire household --- his equipment graces living room, dining room, and nursery. There is no doubt Jack has come to stay. And how grateful I am for his life.
As he slept with his head against my chest, I felt an indescribable connection. Reading son Jeff's blog (www.thehorches.com/blog) prepared me for the love that he and Anne have for one another and for Jack, but oh, it explodes out of the blog and into real life. It is fun to be here with them.
As I began this morning, the phone rang. "Dave died last night." Dave Nelson was just fifty, with a loving wife, and three terrific children. We were friends for 15 years and associated with both Principal Financial Group, and Manulife. He was a good man whose life made a difference. Although my junior by 15 years, he was my boss twice. He believed in me and helped me stretch way beyond my comfort zone. I will miss him. He was excited about the road trip, so I will put just a little extra oomph into it in his memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Brenda.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Brenda: I look forward to your road trip. You make it fun to come along! I am so sorry for your loss of Dave. I do think you have a heart full of blessings waiting for you as you cuddle with this new little one and get to know him. Blessings to you. I will certainly be praying for your traveling mercies and that each day holds AT LEAST one new and interesting person, whose conversation turns to our Creator!
Enjoy the days ahead, I'll be checking on you! Gay Nell Scarborough