Friday, May 29, 2009

OOPS


The house caught my eye as I drove through the small Georgia community. I was making good time toward Atlanta, but quickly remembered the purpose of this trip wasn't speed, but experience. The house was just too good to drive past.
I turned around, and parked in front of the abandoned structure. I parked in the side yard once occupied by an old service station....it felt like time travel. I started to jump out and leave the car running. But, that broke rule one of the single woman's road trip code: "safety first - and know where your keys are at all times!"
I stepped out and walked to the front. Across the small city street were 4 men weed eating. Soon a white van pulled up directly across from me. Just at that moment, one of the weedeaters turned around. "Property of Georgia Department of Corrections." YIKES. These weren't city workers, were they?
The armed guard stood between me and the men and stared until I returned to the Cruiser. I waved as I drove off, but he didn't return the courtesy.
My daughter, Heather, laughed as I told her. "Mom, I can just see the report on CNN about prisoners in Georgia driving cross-country in a bright blue P.T.Cruiser getaway car!"

No comments: