Saturday, May 23, 2009

Garden in the Rain


"There are no refunds for bad weather,"said the ticket seller as we entered the Morikami Museum. No "glad to have you here," "Welcome to our gracious gardens," No, just "no refunds." Remember the soup nazi from Seinfeld? I think she was accredited in his school of customer service.
Despite the pouring rain, my friend Chris, her friend Mary Ann, and I ventured forth. We watched a movie, ate in the lovely cafe, and then challenged ourselves to the elements. The Japanese gardens are magnificent. The one mile walk simply transports you from South Florida to the Far East.
A bonsai exhibit particularly caught my eye. On the identification plaques were two dates .... the date of "birth" and the date that training began. Being unfamiliar with bonsai lingo, that phrase really struck me. And then I started imagining a vast hallway in heaven with our busts on display. Underneath would be the date of our natural birth and then the date the Holy Spirit began our training. How thankful I am for the bending, pruning, shaping, disciplining, and encouragement of the Holy Spirit. How grateful I am for the transforming of my mind. How appreciative I am for a date that training began.
The rains were caught up in the clouds while we traversed the pathways. A most pleasant day.
When friendships are woven into days of joyful adventure, it just doesn't get much better. The Fellowship of Believers Tour has brought such interesting experiences ---- serendipity of the spirit.

No comments: