Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Wheelin' Through Wisconsin

When you leave Door County at 3PM, stop to take pictures, and pick up 41 where you left the path on a day when the Packers have a home game, you get a nearly indescribable experience ---- sitting in traffic for an hour while Pack fans celebrate all the way from Green Bay to Appleton and beyond. Check it out on a map ---- it is a long way. But, to skirt the city and pick up 41 further down would be dishonest.....the conscience of a Cruiser.

Rural Wisconsin changed into North Milwaukee after dark. I was "prayed up" by the time I got to Elmhurst and my bed for the night. Because I was with Northwestern Mutual, I spent several summers in Milwaukee meetings. Believe me, it looks different at night without thousands of shiny NML agents at your side.

Bev and John Birch offered me a most welcome bed in their 1919 Elmhurst craftsman home. A man who worked on some Frank Lloyd Wright era homes began restoring their home to its original clean lines. How refreshing it is to see a family committed to bringing an historical home back to its rightful beauty. They will never lack for a project.

Yes, that is like all of us, isn't it? God is in the restoration process. How gracious of Him.

No comments: