Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fellowship at Barkley

Highway 41 took me through Hopkinsville, Ky. The call of past memories took me to Barkley Lodge, 29 miles off the path.

This structure, designed by Edward Durell Stone, built of natural cedars and acres of glass graces the shores of Barkley Lake in Western Kentucky.

Years ago, Mom and Dad built a home on the shore of this lake before it even had water in it! Talk about buying a "pig in a poke." The farm valley was the "stuff of dreams." Lifetime friends, Gabe and May Payne, Governor of Kentucky Edward Breathitt, and Trigg County farmer Smith Broadbent drew a picture for Dad....and it became more beautiful than even they described.

Happy family times on Barkley Lake fill our memory banks.

Then, several couples decided to host a Christian weekend aptly named, Fellowship at Barkley. For years they filled the Lodge with great conversation, bible teaching, music, and good fellowship.

Walking around the Lodge, I could almost hear the sounds of laughter, feel the hugs of friends, taste the country ham and biscuits, and hear the beautiful music....and of course, the teaching of some great teachers like Ray Stedman and Steve Brown. I smiled to myself as I walked behind my imaginary friends, listening to them review the sessions, and commenting on "that Fred Smith --- isn't he something?"

I could see Mom and Dad with their happy faces and their lifelong friendships.

The blazing trees reminded me of the glowing Fellowships.

"What a fellowship, what a joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arms!"

We are so blessed to be one in the body of Christ. It was good to touch those special moments.

No comments: