Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Serendipity in Mississippi

The Natchez Trace map contained a designation for the Mississippi Crafts Center. Loving the Craft centers on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I planned a quick stop before heading to the home of Ralph and Jane Lord. The ultra-modern concrete and glass building looked unoccupied. Sadly, I turned around and headed out, convinced it was closed. A man appeared in front, told me the place was indeed open, and I returned to the parking lot. Signage may be beneath their cultural sensibilities, but it would definitely drive more traffic.
A man walked up and we started a conversation which continued throughout the tour of the gallery. Dick was a former Chicagoan and proudly boasted of retaining his Al Capone accent. As we perused, he asked what I was doing in Jackson. I told him about the road trip. Sure enough, “Are you doing this all alone? Why? What do you do in Dallas?”
At one point he stopped and said, “If you were in Dallas and one of your friends walked up to you, what would they call you?” Now THAT is the most unusual way anyone has ever asked my name.
He told me part of his story including the part where his former wife lives in Palm Beach, Florida, with his money. His weather-beaten, aged car made me think there may be more to that story. He told me he married a younger woman who is full Choctaw. Interesting change!
During our chat I found out Dick is definitely NOT a Republican, NOT a fan of “W,” and not even a particularly strong fan of Texas (how can that be?) And, the answer to all of our water problems is desalinization. Ironically, on NPR the next day was a discussion of that process – hope Dick tuned in.
I gave him a copy of Breakfast with Fred, took his picture, and wished him well ,then remembered I had no idea how to head toward my next stop.
“How do I get to I-55?“ “Just follow me --- I will lead you.” After the longest, most circuitous journey through much of Jackson, he waved and off he went, having delivered me safely to the interstate for my quick trip down a few exits to the Lords’ house.
Hopefully, something in the book will trigger a thirst. The salty sea cannot possibly compare to the saltiness of God’s word. One more photo in the picture album, one more person on the prayer list. Thank you , Jesus, for giving me the privilege of meeting him.

No comments: