Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Penultimate Day

I was in no hurry to leave Jane’s breakfast table. Her compassionate, lively conversation drew me to Jesus. I pulled out of Jackson, anticipating rain and gloom, but with sunshine in my soul. The gift of hospitality can never be underestimated. I remembered why I so enjoy “putting a roof” over those who come to Dallas or Holly Lake. Such fun!
My trip took me to Vicksburg where I would access US 80, wind through Mississippi, the entire width of Louisiana, and finally into East Texas and back to Holly Lake.
But this was not to be simply the next to last day of the trip --- this was to be filled to the brim with the essence of the road trip – people and memories.
A decision to devote two hours to the Vicksburg National Military Park was a great one. If you haven’t stopped to share the experience of the Civil War battleground, please do. Buy the CD and move slowly along the 16 mile path, listening to the historical account of such brutal tragedy. Each time I stepped out of the Cruiser to walk, I felt the sacredness of this ground. When the kids were little we took them to Gettysburg. The same emotions arose. Strangely, I found myself identifying with the South even though raised in the North and schooled from a Union perspective. The horror of war becomes so clear. You see the trenches, the remains of dirt fortresses, and the solemn tributes to men who died there.
As I crossed the Mississippi River, I remembered back weeks ago when I moved from Minnesota to Wisconsin across that same giant “Father of all waters.” Being naturally a tad cheesey, I began to sing to the Cruiser, “Old man river, that old man river ---- he just keeps rolling along.” That was not only true of the great Mississippi, but it was true of Brenda and the Cruiser. We were approaching 3500 miles on this journey. Much praise rang out to Christian music during this day. It was time for reflection and rejoicing.
But the day wasn’t quite finished…..stay tuned.

No comments: