Sunday, October 21, 2007

Tracing My Steps

If you ever have a chance to eat country ham and biscuits at Loveless Cafe, do it! I mean it --- do it.

This landmark sits at the entrance to the Natchez Trace, a 450 road which runs along the original trail between Nashville and Natchez, MS. What better way to begin a historical trek than loading up on a traditional Southern breakfast?

Jeff and Anne climbed the hill with me and rode the first few miles before waving me off with prayer and blessing. The combination of good food and great thanks made me smile for many, many miles.

The two hundred miles took me 6 hours....I stopped at overlooks, I stopped and read historical markers, I stopped and ate dessert at Chad's Family Restaurant in a little town just off the Trace....I even stopped a biker named John Prewitt at an Indian burial mound to talk. "You have a really interesting face, could I take your picture?" Turns out he was an interesting man who rode to "get out of the house."

At times I stopped and walked along sections of the original Trace that were still existing. I much prefer paved highways in the Cruiser to rutted roads in primitive wagons. No doubt about it, I am not a pioneer woman.

One funny story. There was a spot identified as the location of a stand where travelers could get water and food. It was called the Sheboss House. Apparently, the English speaking man, when approached by the wagoneers asking for help, would point to his wife and say, "Sheboss!" So, that became the name of the location.

The National Park Service helps us all by preserving our valuable history.

Not many days left......"Mom, will you be sad or glad to get home?" Heather's question last night evoked a very honest response, "I could keep on, but I really miss seeing you all." I cannot remember a trip that brought so much joy. I will share the memories with the Cruiser for ever and ever.

Time to pack up and head for Jackson, MS. 5 or 6 more hours on the Trace!

By the way, the Cruiser is the PCH model... as I type, I hear of the awful fire in California and the closing of the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). I am blessed to keep on rolling with my PCH.

No comments: