Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Gracious in Green Bay

Coming into Marinette, WI, I noticed men fishing in the river next to the Welcome Center. "What are you fishing for," I naively asked. "Salmon...they are coming up from the Lake (Michigan) and swimming up the river to spawn. I got two nice ones today. Tomorrow there will be people lining the banks."
I laughed to myself because so many times I feel like I live a salmon life --- swimming upstream. In all of God's magnificent creation, this one seems like such a strange pattern.....except it gives speakers good material.

My destination in Green Bay was the elegant, superbly appointed home of the Roloffs. Greeting me with a warm hug, Roberta ushered me to my room - the "visiting artist's suite." As patrons of the arts, they host many guest performers. Imagine me ensconced in the luxurious canopy bed in which world famous musicians slept. Who needs the Lincoln bedroom!

We ate dinner on the Fox river, seeing the lights of Lambeau Field.

One of the greatest blessings on the trip is seeing friends, telling stories, and laughing. Roberta and I shared the goodness of God, and praised Him for His great grace. We told Fred stories and had time to celebrate Dad's life.

It was hard to think of Green Bay as a stop on the southern side of the trip. Funny how experience changes perspective.

The Cruiser rested royally in front of this limestone English manor house and drank in all the class.... I think it ran a little more majestically on Saturday.

On to Door County, Wisconsin.

No comments: