Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ode to Oh-duh-bun

The naturalist, John James Audubon, spoke no Texan. I learned at the Kentucky State Park named for him that he (and all those in the know) pronounce it Oh-duh-bun....not Aw-duh-bon. Who knew? This French naturalist changed the way all of us look at our American fauna.

The friendly Kentucky State Park Ranger strongly urged me to take the audio tour. "Most people just walk through the museum, look around, and never really get to know him." I thought how much that convicted me of my own spiritual life. How often I just walk through looking at His work and don't really "take the real tour."

The tour was quite intense as I heard of his great struggle to make a living for his family. His widow actually sold the original copperplates as scrap metal for money. His genius was in the delicate, life-sized drawings of American birds and quadrapeds. His Birds of America still stands as a preeminent work. The audio tour mentioned he wasn't naturally gifted as an artist, so he worked passionately and determinedly to achieve the level of accomplishment to capture the birds and animals.

Years ago I planned this trip. I googled US 41, noting memorable stops. This Park and Museum were one of my first "must dos." As I walked up the steps to the French Norman stone building, I paused and thanked the Lord for His great gift of this trip. It is emotionally moving when a longtime dream is realized.

Before leaving I loaded my backpack with water and gumdrops and braved the wilds of the 1/2 mile nature walk. Lewis and Clark had nothing on me! I took one of my 3 favorite photos on this "hike." When I figure out how to transfer it from the computer to the blog, I will share it with you. Birds flew free in and out of the trees, filling the air with cheerful, chirpy sounds. I wonder if there will be birds in heaven....

I safely trekked through the deep woods and pulled out of the Museum parking lot, having "fed my soul."

On to Barkley Lodge....next time. Thanks for riding with me.

No comments: