Monday, October 8, 2007

Steel Drums and Celebration

Imagine my surprise as the steel drum band began in the 150 year old Plymouth Congregational church in Des Moines, IA. The Caribbean tones reverberated from the high arches, swirling around and around the sanctuary.

The fully-robed and stoled senior pastor sat in his chair with a serious demeanor. However, his feet gave him away. The shiney wingtips were tapping to the music. But his face stayed reverentially serious. Then, the strangest thing happened --- his entire feet started to move, then his knees, and then his shoulders ----after that a smile broke out and I knew the steel had stolen his heart!

Have you ever heard a steel band's rendition of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring? It is mesmerizing. I think even Bach would have approved. Fugues with mallets are fascinating.

When the pastor referred to the Holy Spirit as "she" and even more as a "stubborn she," that was a tad unsettling. But it was good for me to get out of the conservative cocoon for awhile and see the power of the Word break through.

We of the "reformed way" focus on right thinking and right doctrine ----sometimes to the exclusion of right living. In this self-professed liberal church which encourages debate, and appears to be the epitome of the synthesis out of thesis and antithesis, I found a strong emphasis on love.

As I sat alone in the pew, the couple behind me had the most touching interchange. "I really love this church," she said. He responded, "And this church loves you." That shot through my heart. How many times would a couple say this in our right thinking churches? Then, the Holy Spirit (I prefer the him version) spoke --- "Brenda, this is your job. What are you doing to show my love to those at Northwest Bible?" Pretty hard to be 600 miles from home and still get penetrated by the arrows of faith.

Thank you for praying. I feel your presence through the peace He gives. Today I head for Minneapolis on highway 69....the Cruiser is on the roll! My aim is to stay off the interstate and out of tractor barns! Ciao.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brenda...What a great trip...love your narrative...feels like I'm sitting in The Cruiser's passenger seat! Take LOTS of pics. Tip for your wireless connections...ATT has reciprocal log-ons with most other wireless carriers...so you don't always have to be at a MacDonald's or B&N....in a pinch, you might try something crazy and go to Starbucks or a totally local, non-franchise place!

Hope you are dictating thoughts as well as writing your blog...could be another book in this.

Carol