Monday, October 15, 2007

The Tearful Terminus

Many of you have heard me say for years and years, "Someday I am taking a road trip.... I want to travel Route 41 from Copper Harbor, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to Miami, Florida."
Dad often said, "Brenda, why don't you take your trip?" "It's not time, Dad."

I stood at the end of the Keweenaw Peninsula, feeling like I was at the end of the world. The old car parked by the trail to the Lake worried me a tad, but nothing would deter me from Thursday's goal: BEGIN THE JOURNEY. I looked at the sign stating that this spot, hidden away in the Fort Wilkins State Park, was the official point of departure for US 41, continuing for 1990 miles.

For me, it signified "it was time." I stood quietly, thinking of Mom and Dad, and recognizing the impact of this trip. You are with me ---- and so are they!

Have you ever dreamed of something for a long time and then had it come true? Sometimes it doesn't live up to the expectations. This day was far better... Thank you, Lord, for bringing me so far in safety. Thank you, Lord, for making this real.

At age 41 my life changed dramatically. On route 41 my heart feels whole.

The Cruiser and I spent a happy, happy day driving up and down Peninsula roads, exploring and absorbing the beauty of the UP. An aside, did you know the folks who live there call themselves Yoopers? I saw a sign, Yooper Lodge, and laughed about a family with such a funny surname. Live, learn, and keep your mouth closed so as not to appear totally touristy!

No comments: