Sunday, October 7, 2007

Charlie and the Tractor Barn

Driving along highway 69 from Baxter Springs, I spotted a "photo op." In front of the farmhouse stood an antique tractor, bales of hay, ears of corn, and a windmill. I pulled in, and started walking toward the house to ask permission from the owner to tromp on his yard. He began a friendly Kansas farmer conversation about how he had built the windmill by hand and how much he loved old tractors. "Take as many pictures as you want - I am heading down to feed the cows." Within minutes he was back. "Do you like motorcycles?" I then told him about getting kicked out of motorcycle school after doing some inadvertent and definitely inappropriate wheelies before a gasping class. "No, I don't ride." "Here is a picture of my Harley. Wanna ride?" "I will just take my picture and be heading to Kansas City."
Next question was, "Do you like old tractors?" Hey, what is there NOT to like about old tractors? So, of course I said, "yes." "Well, my tractor barn is about a mile down the road. Why don't you finish up here and come on down?" Even typing this, it sounds crazy, doesn't it?
SO I WENT!
There were three tractor barns with truly antique machines - giant machines - and all manner of farm implements. Charlie gave me a full tour with all the details tractor by tractor. About the time he invited me to climb up into a mountain of a machine called a combine I decided the road was calling! And especially after Charlie took to friendly pats and smiles.
"Well, Charlie, I really have to be going. I wish I had a tractor to offer you for your collection, but all I have is a coffee mug." (Always have a BWF coffee mug handy ----)

"What I would like is for you to have breakfast with me,"said Charlie. I imagine no one had shown quite an interest in his tractors for quite a while. And, perhaps he had watched the Bridges of Madison County a time or two too many!

It was time to go.....I know, what was I thinking? It was just a road trip adventure in living color...But I am glad Fred and Mary Alice weren't around to hear about it.

I waved cheerily to Charlie and headed to Kansas City amused at my hour on Charlie's farm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am shocked that this blog entry did not get any comments:). I wish you had breakfast with Charlie.

Lisa Fanning