Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Farewell to Mary and Bill

Have you ever told a story and then realized it was a "you just had to be there kinda tale?" Bill, Mary, and the Lighthouse are moving more and more into that category.

Highway 41 snakes its way through the Upper Peninsula, hugging the shoreline of Lake Superior and then turning south to enter Wisconsin. It is NOT the "as the crow flies" route. When I told Mary I would be leaving before breakfast to cover the travel from Ahmeek to Green Bay, she got right in my face and asked, "What is so important about your agenda? Get off the schedule and enjoy yourself. You don't want to miss my breakfast tomorrow......go play the piano and chill."

After dessert that night Mary whispered she wanted to talk with me. She told me of a trip she and her father were planning before he died. She went ahead with it ---- it was her way of affirming my "road trip." Then with great enthusiasm and the lightness of TinkerBelle she said, "Come on!" She decided to give me the lighthouse tour at 11PM because I wouldn't be around for the apres-breakfast extravaganza. We climbed and climbed - at breakneck speed. I thought maybe we were headed for some ET encounter in the midnight hour.

As Mary climbed the ladder to the top, I wished her well and told her I would enjoy the view from just where I was. When she opened the door, walked out on the ledge, and exclaimed, "It is so beautiful ---- look at the ships ---- you can do it!" I was absolutely positive I made the right decision to forego the final climb. Mary's ecstasy was hers to enjoy. And, I thoroughly enjoyed it at a distance.

She told me about her ascension of Mount Everest and her acquaintance with Sir Laurence Olivier. There are just not enough posts to adequately cover Merry Mary and Brilliant Bill. I will wave goodbye, but you will probably see the touch of them on my life.

No comments: