Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mickey and the Cruiser

Remember the guy who lived on nothing but McDonald's food and turned out looking like a human medicine ball? (For the young ones, that is one of those giant exercise orbs...) It appears my AT&T wireless network was built by very well-read and hungry engineers.....the only sure places on my journey will be McDonald's and Barnes/Noble. I wonder how little you have to eat to still ethically use the space and the wifi environment? Guess I will find out in the next 3 weeks.

My PTD (Planned Time of Departure) was 5:00pm Central. All the traffic gave me time to reflect on the yearning I have to get on to state highways and leave the interstates behind. As big trucks machoed their way along I635, pressing my little Cruiser closer and closer to the edge, I longed for a curvaceous Arkansas highway, long deserted by the big rigs.

Tomorrow morning is the first test of my alone time tolerance. When I land in Baxter Springs, Kansas, I will have been on the road for about 10 hours ---- probably running through the A list of CDs and creating a massive sunburn on my left arm. But that is the essence of a road trip. And, that is what we are going to experience together.

I am asking the Lord to give me opportunities every day to say a word for Him....to see Him in His creation, to find glimpses of Him in the people I meet. Clocking miles without engaging my heart is rather shallow.

As I sit here I am watching a young Dad playing chase with his two girls. He isn't doing it because he has to ---- he is really enjoying it. They are all laughing. How often we do the right thing because that is exactly what it is --- the right thing. Our Lord wants us to shout for joy as we run before Him. This Dad is a great picture of our Father who so thoroughly enjoys us. Thank you, Jesus, for reminding me how much fun our faith can be. Tag, you're it!

1 comment:

Jeff H. said...

"Clocking miles without engaging my heart is rather shallow."

That is good line!