Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Charlie's Soul Brother

Behind me was the hustle of Chicago; ahead of me was the rustle of fall leaves in rural Indiana. The Cruiser really likes the open road....it just oohs and aahs. North of Attica, Indiana, I passed a farm with a barn crying out for a photo. Knocking on the door of the farmhouse seemed like Yogi Berra's "deja vu all over again." As Jerry walked out, I knew Charlie Meyers in Kansas had a soul brother. Yes, he had a tractor collection. Apparently, there is a fraternity of tractor lovers and Jerry is one of the preeminent members. While the rest of the world looks for traction, I seem to look for tractors!
"It will get real pretty about 4 or 5 miles down the road...not so flat," Jerry said as he said goodbye. I promised to get him in touch with Charlie....networking of the first order.
I had to drive 50 miles out of the way to find a bed for the night ---- apparently the promise of the covered bridges festival in Parke County booked every room extending from Indiana into Illinois. Many tattooed employees climbing out of two trucks and I found respite in Danville, IL. The Lord provides. One of my favorite words is penultimate --- it means second to last. I got the penultimate room -- I will always be grateful.
Stay tuned for tomorrow --- It may be the ULTIMATE experience of the road trip.

No comments: