Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Inklings and Wonderment

The AAA map denotes "scenic drives" with a series of dots on either side of the road. I wonder how they make these calls. In states like Iowa and Minnesota with such natural, rural beauty, what makes the cut? How do they give dots to one state and deprive another? Oh, well, such deep philosophical questions will have to wait for another day.

I left Des Moines later than planned, so the draw of the dots grew less. And, I must confess I even rode on the Interstate after fighting city traffic and school zones on the "off the road route." Sad when there is more peace on the pavement of I35, isn't it?

"What is the best way to access 169?" Do you know what the attendant at the Minnesota visitors' center did? Pulled out the map and put his finger on the origin of the road ----- probably 100 miles SOUTH of where I was. I guess I framed the question wrong...shudda been, "What is the best way to access 169 from HERE?"

I called my friend to tell her to hold my room for a late arrival. When I mentioned my direction she practically shouted, "You are going to go by the farm --- you HAVE to stop." No, there were no farmers and no tractor barns, but this is no ordinary farm. When you have an opportunity, check out www.springwoodgardens.com My friend is one of the nation's premier daylily hybridizers. What a treat! No one was around, so I just poked around. Yes, the house does look like that ---- in fact, it is more stately and more beautiful.

She literally fell in love with daylilies and gave up her career as one of the top women executives in the country. She loves what she does - and she does it well. One of the attractions is the ability to name any new species. So, she gives them names like King of kings, Isle of Patmos, Man of Sorrow.....you see a pattern. Yes, she witnesses as each person orders their plantings.

It encourages me to find ways to speak the Savior's name in unique ways. The Lord has wrapped the Cruiser and me in a great peace. I am having such a good time. I only wish you were with me.

My son, Jeff, talked with me as I drove across state highway 19 through New Prague on the way to Belle Plaines.....such grand beauty. We have a God who loves to abundantly and lavishly share His creativity. Thanks be to God for all things bright and beautiful.

Headed through Wisconsin today. Thanks for riding with me in prayer.... I am praying for you, as well.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there a Chrsitmas tree in every room at Springwood?

Rich Goldsmith said...

Dear Brenda--
I am one of those who have been riding along with you in your God-directed Cruiser. Thanks for sending your daily observations and reflections. You truly have a gift for words!
Forgive me for not "commenting" every day, but be assured I am reading and being blessed.
May God guide you and keep you safe!
Blessing,
Rich Goldsmith

Anonymous said...

I so relate to driving into Iowa. So many memories of my own - I do need to go back there one day. I'm sure many are gone that I once spent lots of time with over the years. Did you go to Principal? I'll bet it has changed a lot over the years as well. Keep trucking dear friend.
Love you,
Lana