Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Finding Good On The Way

What is that white stuff falling from the sky? OHMIGOSH- it is snow! I was talking to daughter, Heather, when rain turned to snow. Thankfully, it was a brief encounter with fluffy rain. Then, with no warning, yellow stuff started to fall all over my car ---- what in the world? Yep, the sun finally returned and sunshine was pouring all over everything.

Oh, what a beautiful morning - oh, what a beautiful day!

Lakes (Great and small) dotted the path. Bays, inlets, rivers brought visual interest to the travel. And then there were the people!

Looking for a picturesque photo op for the obligatory US 41 sign, I spotted a farm (yep....another one). I stopped and quickly a man walked toward me to check out what this Blue Cruiser had in mind. "May I take a picture of the road sign?" "Yeah, but why?" When I told him about the road trip he shared about his time in Mesquite, Texas. It was right after the service and a time when employment was scarce in Wisconsin. "Why did you move back?" "Oh, everybody wants to come home when they can ---- and for sure when they retire."
It made perfect sense when he said it, but retirement in rural, northern Wisconsin probably wouldn't hit AARP's top ten list.
Aaron Sanford and his wife take care of elderly. "My wife just has a heart for older folks. Most times they don't have anybody who visits them. And we have been the only people at their funerals. We have 13 now, but used to have 25." They had three residential care facilities and his wife spent her day taking care of these lonely, dying people. Not surprisingly, Aaron and his wife are Jesus followers.

He stood by his mailbox and waved. WOW! I really love this trip.

No comments: