Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sentimental Journey

Des Moines was home for 5 winters, as you know. What you may not know is I lived in a downtown hotel. Yes, I did the grownup version of Eloise at the Plaza.....well, maybe I wasn't Eloise and the Hotel Fort Des Moines wasn't the Plaza, but hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

Before leaving town I met a former work friend for lunch at the top of the tallest building in Iowa (and probably still the tallest building between Chicago and Omaha....). If you ever see an Iowa license plate it sits proudly among cornfields and probably a pig or two. From the wrap-around windows you can capture the entire panorama. I had forgotten how far you really can see on a clear day in Des Moines.

The day was bright blue after a long night's rain. About 4AM yesterday I resigned myself to hunker down and see how the Cruiser and I would do navigating the flood. But to my elation, the rain just served as a nocturnal cleanup crew for central Iowa.

How I wish you could see all the changes in this city. It is absolutely beautiful with baskets of flowers hanging from the light poles and lush gardens welcoming visitors. Meredith Corporation (not my daughter, but the parent of HGTV and House and Garden magazine among others) created a gorgeous area that serves as a test garden.

I wheeled into town with great confidence, turned down the street adjacent to the Hotel, and put on my turn signal to access the rear parking lot.....whoops! there is NO driveway, it is now a building...a beautiful new office building. How can this be? Guess I was saved by my Texas plates on this one.

But as I put my hand on the heavy old doors, memories rushed back. I had opened that door (usually toting my computer and a ton of paperwork) so many, many times. I felt such a fondness for that time. It was still old and yet in its 85 years it had gained an elegance. At the front desk stood Deb, who welcomed guests and charmed all during my stay. My daughter and I attended her wedding in the upstairs ballroom in the mid-90s. "Do you remember a lady who lived here in 1103?" I asked. She was so warm in her response.

I could regale you with stories of crazy residents like Tiny Tim (yes, the ukelele guy), a totally dysfunctional young heiress, and lots of political wannabees, but this is about today and the memories the Cruiser and I are creating.

But just for a moment I was able to introduce the Cruiser to a most special chapter in my book, knowing that we were at that very moment inking the pages of another one....pretty cool!

No comments: