Friday, October 5, 2007

Cruisin' on the Route

I am blogging when I should be logging ( at least sawing logs...) What a day! It started out in a log cabin with blue garage doors 5 miles east of Pine Mills, Texas. I am sitting in a house built before the turn of the century (20th, not 21st) on Route 66 in Baxter Springs, Kansas.

I touched 5 states today and mostly stayed in the state of gratitude, appreciation, and awe....total wonder at God's creativity and His timing.

Realizing I was going through Siloam Springs, AR. I stopped to ask directions to John Brown University. As I have friends who are grads, I thought it would be fun to snap a photo of the front sign before heading on up AR59. It turned out to be Homecoming and parking was at a premium. Thankfully, the Cruiser and I don't take up much space, so we squeezed into a spot next to an academic building. Heading toward campus I saw a man walk from the building ---- the closer I got, the more familiar he looked. It was a man from my Dallas Sunday School class who is a 29 year board member of JBU! He gave me a wonderful private tour of the school and sent me on my way. Okay, you statisticians ---- what are the odds of that? Just that moment?

All day I thought about what I would say to you all about the day. I could again tell you how much I love my Cruiser....but you already know that. I could tell you that there are Wal-Marts on every corner in Arkansas, like there are churches in Texas, but that's probably not too interesting.

I could tell you on a very steep, very curvy road in Oklahoma I thought the Cruiser and I were short-lived (literally) as a young man in a sports car came speeding from the opposite side using both lanes.....but other than worry my kids, this is probably not noteworthy.

Then I got to Baxter Springs, Kansas where I am ensconced in this wonderful old house, visiting my friend Linda and her witty 91 year old aunt Ruth. Life got very interesting at that point.

At dinner I heard all about the tourism development of South Eastern Kansas and the rejuvenation of buildings. She told me about one of the few existing Phillips 66 service stations still in existence ---- right on Route 66 in Baxter Springs. As it just so "happened" the lights were on and three weary, but dedicated volunteers were scraping, regrouting, painting, and cleaning for the grand opening which will soon occur. The committee has taken on the total restoration of this building to its original glory. I felt like I had dropped into a time capsule as I toured the old building. Visions of tourist courts, unairconditioned cars, and water bottles hanging from radiator caps flooded my mind. What a treasure.

One of the volunteers is the Kansas state representative for the national Route 66 committee. She is a walking treasure and repository of all things 66. Of course, all I could think of was two guys in a Corvette covering the country. Suddenly, my Cruiser and I were part of history!

So, sometimes finding the pearl in the oyster takes awhile. I loved my day- I played Christian music so loud even my grandsons would be impressed. I sang, I talked, I prayed....and generally rejoiced.

Tomorrow is another LONG day, but it will end up in Des Moines ---- my home for five winters (that is how they count time up there!). Talk to you later. See you on the road......cruising for Jesus! :)

1 comment:

Anne and Jeff said...

Brenda--
I love your blog!! I'm at Mom and Dad's in Huntsville (picking up my dress for the Big Day!), and Dad just read us your blog out loud. I love your spirit of adventure and your vivid way with words. Looking forward to more! Be safe!
--annE.