Friday, January 29, 2010

Mental Mapping

Just pretend there is a pic here ---- I am too lazy to go get the camera and take the shot. If there were one, it would be a map with a bible overlay. Got it? Good.

The other day, I received a call from Dr. Bill Luckey, President of Lindsay Wilson College wanting to meet and talk about a leadership symposium on their campus. "Coincidentally" he and his wife will be driving through Dallas on their way to their daughter's sports tournament at Austin College. And as you may guess, I am going to be about 5 miles from their route at the same time. Fun to see divine appointments.

I was in the car when he called. We left it with --"Pick a place and we will meet you there." Simple, eh? Well, my mind went blank. I drove on to my morning at CC Young. I kept trying to picture whether they would go I 35 or 75. That doesn't sound like something worth struggling about, does it? Well, it got worse and worse. I was in agony trying to mentally picture the route. I ran to the car when it was over and grabbed the Texas map out of the side pocket as fast as I could.

Whew! 75! How could something cause so much turmoil? Why did it? Because I didn't have a map in my mind that I could access. Because I had inadequate information to deal with the situation.....so I stewed.

Where am I going with this? Life is like that. David says, "Your Word is hidden in my heart so I won't sin against you." It is like the map. When I get a picture of God's word and His direction for me, I don't have blank spots and panic attacks.
The bible is my map ---- I need it firmly in my mind as much as I needed the picture of North Texas.

No comments: