Monday, January 11, 2010

Year of the DOG

2009 was the Year of the Frog: Fully Rely On God. I thought and thought about the appropriate theme for 2010. Year of the What? It had to be short enough to morph into an acronym and it had to be punchy enough to endure for a year....hmmm.

Of course, I thought about deer, squirrels (can you imagine the acronym derived from that?), and all manner of other animals, but dog seemed to work. Now, I have no mascots as of today. I need a dog to represent 2010. Any suggestions?

What does DOG stand for? That would help as you assist me in my search for the perfect canine....Decide on Gratitude.

I am big into making choices right now, so Decide seems to work. Gratitude is always one of my goals. Funny how I eventually get to gratitude (or almost always do), but not so funny how long it often takes me. I try on whining, pouting, finger-pointing, overspiritualizing, and denying many times before grabbing myself by the throat and shaking myself into a grateful condition.

What is the most grateful dog? Any suggestions are welcome.

God is good ---- He has given me two magnificent opportunities to practice just in the first 10 days of the year. A flat tire and a broken water line ----those are good ones. "Brenda, in ALL things give thanks."

I was thinking about that praise song yesterday, "Give Thanks." The opening line mystifies me...."Give thanks with a grateful heart." Can you give thanks any other way?

Well, join me this year of the DOG and aim for gratitude as attitude number one.

2 comments:

Carole McConnell said...

Giving thanks is a habit. We can do it without feeling it. Ephesians 5:20 says give thanks FOR everything. I've learned that when I start thanking God for the flat tire itself, I start to laugh and my mood starts to change and then the FEELING of gratitude takes over.

Carole McConnell said...

COLLIE - Count on learning lessons in everything!