Friday, January 15, 2010

Ties of Love


Charlie "Tremendous" Jones was a lifetime friend of Dad's. His enthusiastic approach to life, business, and relationships often overwhelmed those he met. "I never hug women...nobody except my sweet Gloria." But, he hugged men ---- and hugged them big. His size, his personality, and love for others filled a room as he entered. And he never, never lost an opportunity to share the Gospel.


The night after Dad's memorial service, we ate alone in a Dickey's Barbecue restaurant in Dallas. We were literally the last customers and as the young man walked to unlock the door for us, Charlie stopped suddenly. He wasn't leaving until he could share the good news of Jesus.


He is in heaven with his friend Fred. I can only imagine the great experiences they are having.


After his homegoing, his daughters sent me two of his famous bow ties....he was never seen without one. They are treasures and reminders of what a life fully devoted to the work of God looks like.
This pic sits in my BWF office.....Dad on his gurney preparing to speak to 1500 people, Bill Glass, Charlie, and me.
I learned from Charlie how reading out loud enhances the impact of the content. The idea to read out loud to Dad each day came from him. One of the greatest gifts Dad and I shared.
Charlie touched hundreds of thousands throughout the world. I miss him. I learned from him and I hope to pass along the great hope of heaven he exemplified.

No comments: