Sunday, January 10, 2010

HGTV comes to East Texas

"Did you know you have water running down the hill?" Dotsy's sweet inquiry made it sound like something wonderful and new.... an HGTV water feature right in my very yard.
Sadly, this flooding water signified a broken pipe in our sub-freezing weather. I was totally stymied. What in the world do I do?
The water company man said he didn't come out on Sundays, but told me where the water meter was located. "You are the log house on the corner,aren't you ?" Living in a small town is wonderful, except when emergencies arise.
Then again, small towns have big-hearted neighbors who drop what they are doing, jump in their pickups, and rescue former big city girls from their own ineptness.
Of course, I have no water in the house. But, the local plumber will make a stop tomorrow, assess the damage, stop my heart with the estimate, and then go ahead and fix it ---- because he is my only hope.
The water company will add on their facility when I pay my bill. Have you ever seen a water meter whizzing so fast your eyes crossed just watching it? Entertaining until you realize those are your dollars zooming by.
Well, I figure I have one good flush in the toilet, so I am rationing my liquid intake tonight.
No picture, but just a good story. Oh, where is the spiritual application?
Nothing profound - just another example of God's goodness and protection. The woman who discovered the torrent of water in my front yard was a member of my church bringing a loaf of homemade banana bread to me as a new member of Holly Brook Baptist Church. Jehovah-Jireh means God who provides......He gave me banana bread, a sweet friend, and an awareness of the "o'er-whelming tide" as the hymnist put it.
"Be not dismayed whate'er befall ---- God will take care of you." His mercies are unceasing and His kindness unbounded.

No comments: