Thursday, January 7, 2010

Donuts, anyone?


Last year I gave up donuts -----(yikes, what a very few keystrokes to say that, and what an agonizing life change.) No, it wasn't a New Year's resolution ---- it was just a decision.

Yesterday I drove into Dallas for my "Ministry Wednesday." The East Texas economy must thrive on donut shops......I passed one after another and each time my empty stomach growled. Even the Cruiser wanted donuts.....I had to yank the wheel back several times as I inched past the fat pill shops.

BUT, I made it! I had a great day in Dallas, finishing up with peace and satisfaction.

Then, the dire weather forecast forced me to do a one day turn-around. By the time I arrived in Wills Point (passing 3 donut shops now safely closed for the evening), it was very dark. HMMMM --- what is that strange sound? A bumpy road? Oh, no---- a flat tire? Just at that moment I was passing the last gas station for miles and miles on pitch black roads. The Lord grabbed the back of my neck and "urged" me to turn into the station to check. YEP! A flat tire.

An ad campaign years ago ran, "Oh, thank heaven, for seven-eleven." Well, I fished out my AAA card, called, and said a prayer of thanks as she said, "Tommy's Tow Truck" will be there within an hour."

Just 10 more minutes and I would have been on my own with no lights, no easy access to tow trucks and a long wait.

Okay, where is the donut connection? THE CRUISER GOT A DONUT! Isn't that funny?

So, I am headed to Tyler for a new tire (certainly not in my January budget, of course), hoping the Cruiser's donut tire will make it another 35 miles.

God watched over me so abundantly. Immediately, I saw His hand of provision and protection. I felt like His daughter. What a good God we serve. And, how gracious He was to thump me on the head and say, "Let's not ignore this, Brenda."

I hope I remember this every time I pass one of those delectable donut shops, reminded of God's faithful love for this child.

No comments: