Monday, June 15, 2009

Yikes!


"Do you know Don Wyrtzen?" asked my Sunday School teacher Dr. Don Campbell, former President of Dallas Theological Seminary.
Of course, I knew who Don Wyrtzen was, but didn't expect Dr. Campbell's next sentences. "He is sitting right there with his wife. I told him what a good piano player you are."
At that very moment, I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me whole. I love playing the piano for my Sunday School class. I love accompanying the music director when he sings. BUT NOT IN FRONT OF DON WYRTZEN.
He is one of the pillars of Christian music. He concertizes, conducts, produces, composes, teaches, and.......you get the picture.
I play hymns.....period.
But then, I remembered something rather important: I play hymns to encourage others to sing praises to Jesus. Music is a way for me to use my gift of encouragement. Psalm 33:3 says,
"Play skillfully with a shout of joy!" That is my heart's intent. Once I got over myself, I focused on what I was there to do ---- help the music director facilitate singing.
It was a pop quiz and I didn't do too well. I thought first of what Don would think. Guess the Lord still has work to do with me.
The pic shows you the holiest place in my Piney Woods house.....the corner with the piano. In this space, I find much peace and joy. I make music that strengthens my heart - and even makes me laugh.
I don't perform for world-class audiences. Wait, maybe I do. For, my music is for Him who made the Universe to sing. WOW!

No comments: