Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cup of Love


"Run over and ask Mrs. Denning if I can borrow a cup of sugar, Brenda." I was about 5, but I still remember the neighborliness of the lady next door. Sometimes I forget my own name, but recall Mrs. Denning and her mother, Mrs. Hermann vividly. Probably because they baked sponge cake, added a chocolate drop to the top, and offered it to me regularly. Yum.

There are other cups, too. Like the silver baby cups received to commemorate a child's birth. Often engraved with the name and birth, they passed along through the family until ending up in a garage sale.

Wise friends of mine rescue these treasures and "repurpose" them. They and their daughter have a lampmaking business. Their favorite bases are antique silver pieces.

Last week at the end of the bible study at C.C. Young Retirement Center, Bob and Delores handed me a beautiful gift bag....."to remember Jack!"

As I began unwrapping, I immediately recognized the form of a handmade lamp. The base was an antique silver child's cup, circa 1850. Lovely scroll work graced the cup. "Keep it for yourself to remember this special day, but give it to him when he is grown." What a lovely sentiment.

Of course, my mind kept on wandering along the lines of cups.....and landed on the beautiful words, "Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord. Come and fill this hunger in my soul." Whenever I look admiringly at this artful lamp, I will remember Bob, Delores, and the Lord Jesus who eagerly fills my heart's cup.

No comments: