Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Chatting at the CNB



"Hello, how was your trip? Let me show you a graduation card for a friend's daughter." Being greeted by my friend, Carol, at the bank is always a treat, but today it was especially newsy.

She showed me the card and then told me about her friend.

After receiving her degree in dentistry, she chose not to practice professionally, but only missionally. She and her husband adopted 6 children and spend summers in the remote areas of Honduras where she applies her dental skills to help villagers. She told of pulling teeth from sun-up to sun-down on one trip.

We chatted about my trip, about the sale of my house, about her family, and about the faithfulness of the Lord. I cannot remember doing this in my Dallas bank. Not that they don't have those same concerns, but they just don't have time.

Piney woods time is totally different. But, it also lets you stop and think about what's important in life. What fills my heart with joy like the ministry of dentistry does for Carol's friend? What draws me closer to those who need a touch from God?

If grandson Andrew is right, the next chapter of my life is going to be written in these woods, with these people, and with the guidance of the Lord. I don't anticipate paddling upstream to pull teeth in Honduras, but I can see strengthening hearts with a word of life and hope.

Jesus went about doing good.....He came with a plan, but He lived it out step by step. I don't think I need to dream great dreams about service. I think I need to keep on chatting at the CNB and listening to the stories of great Christians who are my neighbors.

No comments: