Thursday, June 4, 2009

My friend Jack


"I told baby Jack about you. I hope he gets to meet you someday."

Each week I read to Jack Kinder, a friend of Dad's stricken by a stroke while speaking to a Chicago audience in 2006. For awhile his survival was in question. His valiant spirit overcame. He returned to Dallas and resides in a rehab facility.
After Dad's death in 2007, I began reading to Jack. Each week we share 30-40 minutes of reading and prayer. Although he cannot speak, I can tell by his facial expressions he understands.
One of the books is a 1972 edition of The Selling Heart, written by Garry and Jack Kinder. The principles are still true, and the underlying philosophy is priceless. As I read some of their thoughts today, he showed great agreement. He is still a great salesman at heart.
Jack didn't know his last words would be spoken on a Chicago stage. When he prepared for that speech, he had no idea those would be his final utterances.
His life reminds me to "keep current" in my relationships. I say "I love you" more frequently, and ask forgiveness more quickly.
None of us wants to die with our music in us. None of us wants to die with unfinished business. Jack encourages me to appreciate life. His strength of character and his attitude of gratitude make our weekly reading times most precious.
In Christ, all things are possible....even when they look most impossible. I am crazy about my grandon - sweet baby Jack....and awfully glad to have a friend named Jack, as well.

PS - Jack coordinates well with the Cruiser, doesn't he?

No comments: