Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sign of the Times

Selah is a Hebrew musical term meaning pause or interlude between verses. The house in the Piney Woods is just that for me. This isn't an end to "life as it was," for life is ever unfolding and rhythmically modulating from one verse to another. But there are those moments of rest and transition that set the stage. In today's praise music environment, the Selah is the place where the worship leader talks and the musicians vamp behind him (or her). He encourages, he lifts, he even beseeches (though I don't think the younger ones know that word).
My house is named Selah. I am here to hear ---- to listen to the Worship Leader between verses and get my bearings as I continue playing my soul's music.
I made the sign last year one weekend --- and was most proud of myself. But it never had legs. When Rickiey delivered the benches I mentioned it to him. I was thinking of something ordinary --- he wasn't. Again, I am glad I trusted him. It is a perfect fit for the house.
As I drive in and out, it will be an unspoken message to me. "Pause, Brenda, listen to the music and pay attention to the heavenly Minstrel as He soothes your soul."

No comments: