Monday, June 28, 2010

Sassy Seniors

Sometimes in life, the Lord gives you the gift of long-lasting, long-loving friends ---- even though you see them infrequently.
My friend, Ruth Furseth, is like that. We met when her husband, Paul, was a Dallas Seminary student. Our children were similar in age, and Ruth's infectious love for Jesus drew us to her. She tried to make "Stretch and Sew" experts out of us all, but my fingers never quite got the hang of it. She didn't mind....she just kept on encouraging me.
They graduated, moved back to Canada, and then on to Wheaton for a graduate course which would prepare them for 10 years in China. Two or three visits to Canada produced much laughter and many memories.
After they moved to Wheaton, I was spending time in Chicago, so our friendship enjoyed several coffee time conversations.
A trip to Canada just had to include a stopover. Easy, eh? An email changed all of that! "We are moving to Western Canada on June 24th. Can you come before then?" YIKES. My carefully devised itinerary was immediately scrapped and new plans emerged.
However, little did I know our visit would coincide with the arrival of the moving van. THAT is a last minute catch-up. But, the truck was late enough to give us ample time to share stories, laugh, sip a cup of tea, and hungrily devour a Morning Glory muffin. We hugged and didn't have to say much ---- the Lord has us knit together in each other's hearts. Distance isn't the measure of love when we are in Christ.
By the way, they live in an internationally acclaimed senior community that draws attention from all over the world. I will tell you about that another time. But it was the first time I had ever seen a Senior Crossing sign----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

London Ontario - now you are in my neck of the woods!. Not sure you know, but I am Canadian and my uncle lives there. Spent many summers growing up in London - Judy Liles

Anonymous said...

London Ontario - now you are in my neck of the woods!. Not sure you know, but I am Canadian and my uncle lives there. Spent many summers growing up in London - Judy Liles