Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lost in Space

No pics on this one ----- I GOT LOST IN CHICAGO! My favorite town turned on me.
Actually, I turned on myself by not using a map, but depending on written directions copied from Mapquest. Those are great if you don't make mistakes, but if you veer off the path, you have no idea how to make corrections.
My children used to beg me not to make life applications from every experience. Sorry, kids ---- this one just begs for expansion.
Dad used to say, "You don't need a map if you have a guide." A dear friend of mine is on a road trip and uses "Ginger" the Garmin Guide. I prefer maps. However, I need to have one handy, not just neatly packed away in the back of the car.
Okay ---- time for application. My life needs the direction of the Holy Spirit through the Word --- the whole word. I can memorize a few snatches of scripture and depend on them. Great. But, if I veer off the path I need the whole counsel of God. I need more than a sketchy outline. And, I need it right there at my fingertips.
After driving aimlessly, I finally stopped and retrieved the map from the back. Mentally I did the "you are here" and "you want to be there." Sounds good, doesn't it? The only problem ---- I grabbed a regional map, not the local one. It showed me the big picture, but I needed the down and dirty, nitty-gritty version to get me out of the mess. In my life, it does no good to depend on platitudes and general statements of faith. When you are in deep water, you need the intimate knowledge of the most High....you need His light to show you EXACTLY where you are --- not generally where you think you might be.
Thanks to the patience of a friend who stayed on the phone with me, making me laugh, and making pointed remarks about my inability to navigate (with my strident pushback, of course), I arrived at the place to proceed safely.
The Holy Spirit stays on the phone with us as we wander --- and wonder. The Word of God points us to the places we got off the track and shows us where the on ramps are for our life of faith.
Thankfully, my kids don't read the blog because they would be saying, "Oh, Mom!"
Thankfully, my God doesn't give up on me -----and brings me safely home. Praise Him!

No comments: