Friday, July 9, 2010

July 4th in Door County


Walking through a back courtyard, I spotted this patriotic scene ---- isn't it great? The flowers seem to add the white touch to the red and blue of the chairs. And don't you love the umbrella?
As I put my itinerary together I pondered...."where will I be on July 4th?" I think back to many outstanding celebrations....on the shore of the Pacific Ocean with three young children romping in the waves as the fireworks boomed overhead; on the capital hill of Iowa listening to a military band and watching veterans spontaneously stand up all over the lawn; joining a family reunion of total strangers who warmly invited my friend Vicki, her mom, and me to "come sit with us and watch the fireworks!"
This time I was on the Door County peninsula, surrounded by Green Bay and Lake Michigan. We watched bursts of color and heard blasts of sound as we enjoyed the peacefulness of the woods and the water. This one will get a special star in my July 4th memory book.
As I traveled, I so appreciated our country. I watched very little TV, but prayed a lot for our leaders and fellow citizens. My son, Jeff, once told me "We need to see you praying for our leaders." Jeff, I took your counsel and spent much more time lifting up than I did putting down.
I am a proud American --- I am a thankful American --- I am a prayerful American.

No comments: