Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What are you doing under there?

Howard Hendricks, known as "Prof" to generations of Dallas Seminarians, once responded to a student who started his explanation with "Well, under the circumstances" by saying, "Son, what are you doing under there?"
My blog is billed as writing about the travels and travails of my life journey. I find it much easier to snap a pic, post it, and then see the spiritual applications. That is sheer joy. It is much harder to face the travails.
But, what kind of tour guide only shows you the movie set side of life?
This has been a tough year.... it has been the Dickens' "the best of times and the worst of times."
My grandsons are all growing. They ache all over as their bodies stretch. I, too, am growing and I ache, as well.
Remember the old Andy Williams' song, "Where is this place called Lonely Street?" I have the answer ---- it is in East Texas on West Holly Trail. The peace sometimes leaves me in pieces. I don't miss LBJ traffic, but I miss the movement of people in my life buzzing back and forth.
However, Dr. Hendricks is right ---- these are circumstances and I have taken my eye off the ball --- taken my eye off Jesus. The enemy of my soul has done one of those sleight of hand tricks --- distracting me to lead me astray. I am not "under the circumstances;" I am under the blood of Christ. My happiness is not dependent on the happenings; my joy is dependent on freedom in Jesus.
So, every now and then I am going to open my heart's door and share the darker side of the journey ---- only because there is true light along this route. Probably won't have as many pics, but who knows ---- I may surprise myself --- and you!

No comments: