Saturday, August 21, 2010

Miss June's House


"You'll be staying in Miss June's house." Having read The Miracle on Caney Creek I knew this was the residence of Miss June Buchanan, co-founder of Alice Lloyd College and namesake for the K-12 June Buchanan School on the campus.
"This is the closest I will ever come to staying in the Lincoln Bedroom" was my response.
What was I doing in this honored place?
I was there because my Dad made a difference in the lives of many and I was coming to Pippa Passes, KY. to carry on his legacy. A tad overwhelming.
In April, 2011, a team of men and women influenced by Dad will be coming to the campus to participate in a Fred Smith, Sr. Leadership Symposium. I came to meet with Dr. Jim Stepp, Executive Vice President and brother of President Joe Stepp. All this was heady enough, but sleeping in Miss June's bed touched me.
As I sat in the early morning hours preparing for the breakfast meeting, the anachronistic nature of the scene hit me. I was wirelessly online as I sat on her porch ready to talk about Breakfast With Fred. Their hearts were for mountain leaders; one of Dad's favorite phrases was "Give me men to match my mountains." June, Alice, and Dad would have been a dynamite team.
Getting ready, I stood in Miss June's bathroom, looked into her mirror, and thought about her focused determination. "Brenda, to what is your life given?" was my question. I want to think the image in the mirror reflects the heart and life of her service looking to the Lord Jesus Christ for power and strength.

No comments: