Saturday, August 14, 2010

Open Your Hands




Steve Brown, in his inimitable style, totally ignored the printed outline ---- how refreshing. The last time I came to the Cove, a couple behind me kept flipping pages. Finally, one said to the other, "I cannot find out where he is!" It made me laugh. Steve is never on the printed page --- but he is always right where he needs to be.....poking and prodding.

I left home with a fuzzy head and a fretful heart.....little by little as I drove, the Lord threw the heavy rocks from the bag I was carrying, and left them behind. I called my sister to exclaim, "I am getting free!" Good thing because Steve is all about that.

Walking into the beautiful lobby, I sat down by the fireplace and thought of Ruth Graham's lovely book and her thoughts while sitting by her fire. God works in the fire, whether to refine, restore, or renew. This fireplace is very special to me ---- it speaks of God's precious blessing on my life. There are holy places in all of our lives --- The Cove is one of those for me.


Steve talked about volitionally opening our hands and offering EVERYTHING to God. I had to lay down hurtful thoughts, carefully crafted phrases I was warehousing for the right time, and a heart that often resisted mercy. Oh, how I hate when the Lord shows up and shows me up! But, then when He is through and the heart is opened, there is such peace.


As I sit here by the fireplace writing this, I am 12 again, sitting at Ridgecrest Baptist Assembly and dedicating myself to "full time Christian service." Use me, Lord, and empty the bag of rocks ---use them to build an altar and build bridges. They are way too heavy to carry and way too dangerous. Thank you, Jesus.

1 comment:

Carole McConnell said...

Open hands...where have I heard that before...? I'm so excited for you, dear friend. Travels and travails, testing and triumphs.