Sunday, August 22, 2010

Signs of Truth

"Expect delays" ------"Expect extended delays" ------"Delays ahead"

I saw all of these often on the trip. Each time it was because construction was ahead or because accidental destruction occurred. The warnings made me do a giant "Oh, no...." then try to figure out an alternative route (which usually ended up taking longer than waiting out the delay, by the way).
Okay, you are way ahead of me on this application, aren't you? Let's jump in and do it together...when God has us under construction or when we have run off the road creating spiritual destruction, we see the flashing sign -----"Expect delays!"
The journey to the Celestial City wasn't straight, nor easy for Christian in Pilgrim's Progress. I find it just as challenging. My paternal grandfather was named for John Bunyan and carried with him the vision of this great Puritan.
I, on the other hand, struggle with these delays and push to find ways around them. I am impatient and often grumble when my forward progress is deterred. But, you know something? Some of the greatest growth comes in those delays. He told me to expect them --- and sure enough, they are there. He told me sometimes they would be extended--- and sometimes they feel like they will never end.
But they do! I look back and see why I needed to slow down. I see dangerous places in the road, see roadblocks, and am grateful for the warnings.
God's principles pop up in the everyday --- what fun!

No comments: