Monday, March 22, 2010

The Yes-Mess

As I wrote graciously declining an invitation to join a neighborhood book club, I said, "I am in a 'yes-mess' and cannot participate right now."
"Yes-mess." I liked that even though I wasn't sure how it popped into my mind.
When I was doing life coaching I encouraged people to clearly understand how God designed them in order to create a yes filter. I found urging people to say "no" wasn't effective....coaching people on the right way to say "yes" was. And here I am ---- weighed under by inefficient, ineffective, and imprudent use of the word "yes."
My Dad once sent me a small, handwritten note..."Brenda, opportunity is not mandate." I loved that statement. Now I find myself opportunistically mandated under a pile of commitments.
What should this teach me? Find my gifts and follow that trail.
A few years ago I decided to focus on music as an outlet for my gift of encouragement. I spent the entire year saying yes to every invitation to accompany a singer, play hymns for the nursing home, be the rehearsal pianist for the choir, and host a music night in my home. I purposefully and intentionally established this pattern. It brought great joy to me. But, it wasn't added to 5 or 6 other outlets for encouragement. I said yes to one path and it worked.
I need to identify and define the "highest and best use" of my gifts before the yes-mess overtakes me.
Bill Hendricks wrote these words, "Operate in the called to, not the can do." Yes-messes occur when the can do takes over. Saying yes to the called to is experiencing God's pleasure.
"This is the way, walk in it." God is a good manager of gifts and time, isn't He?

2 comments:

Carole McConnell said...

I was really happy to read this. This has been a concern to me and I'm glad the Holy Spirit spoke up and you were listening, as usual. :-)

Anonymous said...

Loved this one. I know that is what has been happening to my life. Too many yeses and sometimes to the wrong issue. Funny how I can say yes to so many small and unimportant things in my life and yet, too busy too spend time with the Lord??
Judy