Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Coming or Going

There is an old story about a little boy who goes to Sunday School and is taught Adam was made from the dust of the earth. The teacher then told the class our lives are simply "dust to dust." The next day he ran into his Mom and told her he climbed under his bed. "There's somebody either coming or going!"
This picture of the Christmas lights made me think of that for am I preparing to decorate for Christmas or possibly preparing to de-light my house to the delight of my neighbors?
Gratefully, those are the lights from the front porch after being removed string by string! And they are getting ready to move from the corner table to their plastic containers for safekeeping until next December.
If it took until nearly April 1 to get them down, wonder how long it will take to actually get them into their plastic tubs and up into the attic? I am sure there is a betting pool forming somewhere!
When I took the last strand down, I felt such relief and such a sense of productivity. Undone things hang over me like the sword of Damocles.
When I was young I was a prodigious reader. I LOVED checking books out of the library, but I had great difficulty getting them back. I hid them beneath my bed so today the items on my procrastination list are known as things "under the bed."
A friend of mine is probably in her last days. One of the things I won't put under the bed is the opportunity to go see her and tell her how much she has influenced my life. Lights can wait --- friendships can't. Life is fragile - we can never take it for granted. If you are reading this, please check your list and put "loving others" high on the must-do side of the ledger.

No comments: